Today Freudenthal Home Health is celebrating World Physical Therapy Day, by saying thank you to the men and women who tirelessly work to improve the health of our aging community. Physical therapy professionals benefit our aging community in a variety of ways, including:
- Reducing or eliminating pain. Therapeutic exercises and manual therapy techniques such as joint and soft tissue mobilization or treatments such as ultrasound, taping or electrical stimulation can help relieve pain and restore muscle and joint function to reduce pain. Such therapies can also prevent pain from returning.
- Avoiding surgery. If physical therapy helps you eliminate pain or heal from an injury, surgery may not be needed.
- Improving mobility. If you’re having trouble standing, walking or moving—no matter your age—physical therapy can help. Stretching and strengthening exercises help restore your ability to move.
- Improving your balance and preventing falls . If you’re at high risk for falls, therapists will provide exercises that safely and carefully challenge your balance as a way to mimic real-life situations. Therapists also help you with exercises to improve coordination and assistive devices to help with safer walking.
- Managing age-related issues. As individuals age, they may develop arthritis or osteoporosis or need a joint replacement. Physical therapists are experts in helping patients recover from joint replacement, and manage arthritic or osteoporotic conditions conservatively.
Freudenthal Home Health currently employs a team of 10 full and part-time physical therapy experts. Dr. Read Wall, DPT notes “Physical therapy is important because without an ability to move we are not able to participate in life fully and enjoy it to its utmost potential. This is the core of physical therapy, it is the art of helping people move better.” He goes on to say, “I like to think of myself as a therapeutic movement coach. We help people understand and overcome movement obstacles.”
So today we'd like to say THANK YOU for all that you do to help our clients age at home!