Freudenthal Home Health Blog

Freudenthal Home Health salutes family caregivers in the St. Joseph, MO area who are giving wonderful care and help to their senior loved ones each and every day. Our goal with this blog is to give information and resources to help and support St. Joseph, MO area family caregivers.

SNAP: Help Your Loved Ones Eat Healthier


You may already know about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offered by the USDA, but did you know that there are special rules for the elderly and disabled. If you are caring for an elderly loved one and have noticed that they have trouble affording healthy food, SNAP may be able to help them, even if they are living in your home.

To get SNAP benefits, you must apply in the State in which you currently live and you must meet certain requirements, including resource and income limits. Most SNAP eligibility rules apply to all households, but here are few special ones that apply to elderly and disabled applicants.

Don’t ever hesitate to give Freudenthal Home Health a call when you’re trying to explore assistance options for you loved ones. Many times we have been able to lessen the pressure on family caregivers by helping them navigate through these rough waters.
— Lisa Groce | Executive Director Medicaid/VA In-Home Division

Who is elderly?

In SNAP, you are elderly if you are 60 years or older.

Who is disabled?

In SNAP, you are disabled if you meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • You receive Federal disability or blindness payments under the Social Security Act, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security disability or blindness payments. OR

  • You receive State disability or blindness payments based on SSI rules. OR
  • You receive a disability retirement benefit from a governmental agency because of a permanent disability. OR
  • You receive an annuity under the Railroad Retirement Act and are eligible for Medicare or are considered disabled under SSI. OR
  • You are a veteran who is totally disabled, permanently homebound, or in need of regular aid and attendance. OR
  • You are the surviving spouse or child of a veteran who is receiving VA benefits and is considered permanently disabled.

How do we find out if we're eligible?

You can go directly to the SNAP website, and take a look at their FAQ section, or there's an even better option. The National Council on Aging has actually built a website that can help you discover even more services that may be available. Just go to and put in a few details and see what programs your loved ones may be eligible for. You can also feel free to give Freudenthal Home Health a call at 816-676-8050, and we will truly do our best to help relieve that pressure and answer your questions.


Sign up for our blog post emails and our Focus On Family Caregivers Newsletter!

* indicates required