It is possible to feel as if you are sometimes alone in your journey as a caregiver. As a sole provider of companionship, assistance in day-to-day tasks and medical care, you are not only working hard for your loved one, but you are also so busy that time in your home with your spouse and children can be limited.
Studies have shown that because caregiver stress has serious side effects, such as depression and a decrease in the ability to provide sufficient care for their loved one, it is important that caregivers seek support through the companionship of fellow caregivers. The support you can receive from others who are experiencing similar situations will be beneficial to your emotional well-being.
How Can I Benefit from a Support Group?
● Receive advice from others who experience situations similar to your own
● Build confidence in yourself by answering others’ questions
● Meet new friends
● Share your problems in a supportive, nonjudgmental, unbiased environment
● Ease your emotional stress because you know that you are not alone in your struggles
● Gain a better understanding of your role as a caregiver by learning what others are doing
● Improve coping skills
● Lessen feelings of insecurity about your caregiving abilities
● Decrease your chances of feeling isolated
● Talk openly and honestly about your feelings
It is important not to feel intimidated by the idea of a support group. Your schedule or anxiety about sharing your personal feelings with strangers may have you feeling wary about joining a support group. However, there are many options to gain support from others. First, research groups in your area by visiting AARP online or other well-known resources for elder care, where you can find accredited support groups.
Some groups are ran by a facilitator, while others are mutually arranged in a smaller group. If you are not comfortable with meeting a larger group face-to-face or do not have time in your schedule, consider an online forum. Websites like AARP’s have discussion groups and forums where you can submit your concerns or questions and hear back from trusted experts.
Joining a support group is one of the many ways you can ease the stress that can occur from being a caregiver. Another way is to find a trustworthy partner, such as Freudenthal Home Health Services, where home health is provided right in the comfort of your loved one’s home. Contact us today learn more.
Also if you know of anyone interested in a caregiving position with our company, have them go to our website: Join Our Team!
God bless you and your family,