A Family Caregiver is someone who regularly looks after a senior loved one or friend.
You may think that simply looking after your mother or a senior citizen living next door is not enough to be considering caregiving, but that care, along with the companionship and sense of safety you provide, is much more valuable than just doing a small favor. You’re playing an important part in their lives and contributing to their well-being, a role that shouldn’t be viewed lightly.
Are You A Family Caregiver?
To best determine whether or not the activities you take on qualify you as a Family Caregiver, consider the following quiz.
For a senior loved one, are you regularly...
- ...performing tasks such as cleaning, yard work and laundry?
- ...picking up medication or reminding a loved to take their medication?
- ...regularly cooking or providing food?
- ...providing transportation for a friend or family member to doctor’s appointments, shopping trips or other errands?
- ...assisting a loved one with personal care tasks, such as bathing, dressing or helping them to the bathroom?
- ...helping a friend or family member take care of finances?
- ...spending as much or more time caring for a friend or loved one than you do on your immediate family members?
If you complete any of the listed tasks for a loved one or neighbor, you’re considered a Family Caregiver.
You Are Not Alone
While there are approximately 42 million Americans who fill the role of Family Caregiver in the United States, not everyone in the role identifies themselves as a caregiver and is then missing out on key resources that can make the responsibility easier to manage. To that end, it is important to educate yourself so that you can properly fill that role for your loved one.
Fortunately, you don’t have to go it alone. There are others within the community facing many of the same challenges and opportunities in the care of a loved one. By reaching out to others in this same stage of life, you can make important connections and find much-needed support systems. The first step, however, is to ensure you properly identify the role you fill.
We Can Help.
If anything in the above list pertains to you, you are in fact a Family Caregiver. At Freudenthal Home Health, there are several services and professionals ready to assist you in that role. Call or or come by our office today to let us be your partner in at home care for your loved one.